Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I wrote a letter to the president!

Dear Barack Obama (or Barack Obama's letter answerer),

My name is Alison Boland and I am joining the Peace Corps. I will be leaving for my 27 month stint in Mongolia on June 11. I am extremely excited to become a part of this program and nothing makes me happier than knowing that I am serving my country in a way that you fully support!

When I received my invitation packet in April, it included a welcome letter from the President. I understand that it takes time to get all of these things updated, but I was a little bit disappointed to see that it was still a letter from George W. Bush.

I know that you are very very VERY busy with all the important problems of the world, but I am writing to request that, when you are able to get around to updating the Peace Corps welcome letter, can you have it sent to all the people currently serving as well? Or just make it a Youtube video and send us the link!

You were a big motivation for my decision to join the Peace Corps and it would make me (and I'm sure many other PCVs) extremely happy to receive a letter of welcome from you.

I'm really glad you're my president and it's an honor to be embarking on this journey under your administration!

Sincerely,
Alison Boland

P.S. If, by any chance, you're in Los Angeles on June 11, do you think you could make time to stop by our orientation event? It would make my year (and this is going to be a pretty exciting year!)

5 comments:

  1. Hey Alison, im Josh. Im also gonna be going to Mongolia in June for Peace Corps. Im also in Education as well. I gotta say its uncanny how much you and i seemed to come across several interesting notes about stuff, like getting an invite letter with Bush's name on it rather than Barack. You sound about as excited about this as i am, and that was a tall order believe me! I have my own blog for Peace Corps going as well.

    http://notallwhowanderarelost-josh.blogspot.com/

    By the way, im also unsure about business casual. Do you think a polo will work or do they want dress shirts? I hate dress shirts, but i had expected theyd want us dressing up some.

    Cya at staging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alison (and Josh),

    My name is Scott and my wife, Ashlee, and I are also leaving for Mongolia in June. We're from Sothern California, so we're stoked we're meeting up in LA -- one less flight for us! We've also got a blog going -- it's www.sojourningcouple.blogspot.com. Take care and see you at staging!

    Cheers,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent. Looks like the three of us are the main and first bloggers so far. A guy a girl and a couple, great mix. Make for some great perspectives. Cya all in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I am Jane from Philippines. Would love to hear more from Mongolia. :D Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison, great letter! I'd like to ask you and otheres to please contact your Senators and ask them to co-sponsor the Peace Corps Improvement and Expansion Act, which includes $450 million for the Peace Corps for Fiscal Year 2010.

    Read more at http://peacecorpsconnect.typepade.com/peacecorpspolyglot/2009//07/wanted-senate-champions-for-the-peace-corps.html

    Jonathan Pearson (Micronesia 87-89)
    Advocacy Coordinator
    National Peace Corps Association
    1900 L Street, NW Suite 404
    Washington, DC 20036
    202-7728 ext. 21
    fax 202-293-7554
    jonathan@peacecorpsconnect.org

    ReplyDelete